Monday, September 12, 2011

Outreach

BJ and I have decided to get involved in reaching out to teens in Camdenton, MO. Small towns can be very difficult for teenagers growing up. There just isn't much to do except experiment. A lot of the teens here go to an alternative school because of learning, addictions, pregnancy, abuse. But the teens are crying out to be loved.



We recently found out about an outreach program called TEEN/REV and the LIVING ROOM. Teen/Rev is for pregnant teens to come and get educated, loved, and supported. The clinic is open from 12-4 everyday. Because I have had a couple of experiences with being pregnant :), I am going to be helping out here a couple times a week. Please pray for me, as I am very nervous to do this. I am not nervous at all to educate these girls, because I can totally relate to being pregnant and all of the fun things that come with it, but ministering to them and eventually teaching them about the Bible makes me a little nervous. These girls are crying out for love, and I pray that I can give them a taste of God's perfect love!

The Living Room is a new addition to the Teen/Rev. This is a hangout where teens can come and hang out after school and on the weekends. It's open from 3-6 in the week and til' 10 on Friday and Saturday. BJ and I both will be volunteering here a couple of days a week. We will hang out with kids, help with homework, try to get them doing things that are fun and safe. We hope to be able to share Christ with them as well. Again, please pray for us!


Saturday was our first event. We had a big concert for the teens to come and hang out. I have to say, it was definitely different being back in this atmosphere! Girlfriends and boyfriends all over each other were just one thing that was strange to me. I was thinking...I hope I am cut our for this!! It really was a great night. I was preparing food most of the time, but got to talk to a few girls that told me that they come every Friday night. BJ and our other friends got to talk to some of the boys and they really sensed that they longed for a father figure. So, we are very excited to be apart of this outreach program. Please, please be praying for us and the teens in Camdenton!!

4 comments:

LINDSEY said...

WELL JILL AND BJ YOU NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME! IF THATS THE CORRECT TERM. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME AND KNOW YOU WILL SUCCEED IN HELPING THESE TEENS AND GETTING THEM CLOSER TO GOD! LOVE YOU GUYS AND CANT WAIT TO SEE YA!

Tiffany said...

That sounds like alot of fun. Kids are our future and we definitely need to start with them. I would love to do stuff like that!

Jilly said...

Thanks Girls! You are always so encouraging! Love you both!!! P.S-You can do something like this...there are many outreach oportunities in your neck of the woods!!

The Skillerns said...

BJ and Jill,
This is so awesome to read! Kevin and I recently moved into a new neighborhood with lots of teen boys. Kevin has been trying to skateboard with them as much as he can, and we so hope to eventually build relationships with them. It's so exciting to figure out what it looks like to be a missionary right where you are.

May God continue to bless your beautiful family as you do His will!